Kastanza interview move

I was asked in a job interview how long I planned to stay in a company. It’s an awkward question, but the interviewer was alluding to my recent work history which shows short tenures across three companies (less than 2 years at each).

In classic George Kastanza style I came up with a great answer about 20 minutes after the interviews conclusion.  It went something like this:
 

*****
I made a deliberate choice to work in early stage and startup companies because I saw the opportunity to learn from the smartest and most passionate people at a relatively early stage in my career. 
 I wouldn’t say it’s been a smooth ride but it has enabled a solid grounding in what works and what doesn’t in high growth, small to medium sized businesses; so I count myself lucky for that.

*****
I actually sent the interviewer something similar in an email the next day.  An unconventional move, no doubt, but if they want me, they’ll take it as evidence for the organisation to get me on board.  Prayers to the lord of the idiots that this one works out.

Comments